Monday, January 9, 2017

Look Up Here... I'm In Heaven

David Bowie's death has made an impact on my life far greater than I expected.

While I celebrate the fact that he gave us the gift of his music up until the day that he died, I wasn't through having him be a very important part of my life... I wanted more. I wanted to know that 'Blackstar' was a fantastic album (it is) but not his last album. I wanted to know that he would next walk into a studio with his longtime friend and producer, Tony Visconti, to begin work on yet another amazing record. I wanted to know that he would continue to be DAVID BOWIE and make all of us giddy with anticipation for his new work as we were while awaiting the follow up to 'Ziggy Stardust'. I wanted to know what persona he would next take on.

It won't happen now. Bowie's recorded legacy is complete and we can, all of us, rejoice that he gave to us so much of himself to remember, listen to and be continuously thrilled. We can recall memories gathered from each stage of his career, the carefully crafted images that I won't name because, as a Bowie fan, you already know them. We watched, we listened, we wanted to BE him but, as mere humans, we would never be brave enough to adopt those looks while living on our home planet. He made the journey from aloof, even cold-hearted superstar to affable, accessible rock legend as gracefully as anyone has.

As changeable as his public persona was, one thing never changed and it was his brilliance as a singer/songwriter; from 'Space Oddity' to 'I Can't Give It All Away' he never stopped topping himself, re-inventing and owning any style of music he chose to explore and then re-create in his own way.

He was (and always will be) a part of my life, a true hero from the first time that he amazed me. I am going to miss him and it will be awhile before the hurt stops. May he gaze down upon us and know how much he was loved and admired.

No comments:

Post a Comment